3.01.2010

Stereotypes

I had an experience the other day where I realized how much I hate stereotypes.  Yes, I know I'm just as guilty for stereotyping people too.  For example,  in one of my classes, a student seemed to act like he was all that and I was kind of judgemental and thought he was cocky.  Well, I was wrong.  A few days later, I talked to him about the class we are in together and he is so nice! It was good to know I was wrong and what I have to work on to become a nicer person myself.  But anyway, back to why I hate stereotypes is because some people I was talking to were discussing St. George and how it is full of "Elitists".  I was a little bit offended to be honest, and I do not get offended easily.  I got the vibe from that conversation that elitists think they are better than everyone else and and the government and life in general revolves around them, and if it doesn't, it absolutely should.  The person I was talking to said St George is full of elitists because of all the golf courses and how nice the St. George Area is.  Well, anyone can go to St. George and go golfing and you don't have to be a part of the 'elite' group to fit in.  Later in that conversation, I was called an elitist.  It made me so angry how people who have never even been there just assume that everyone who lives there is rich and can go golfing whenever.  Well guess what, the city owns most of the golf courses and people CAN go golfing whenever because the weather is SO nice there.  You don't have to be a member of a private club or be considered 'elite' to go golfing.  And another argument I have to say that St. George is not full of 'elitists' is because the City of St. George is a construction city and that's how many people are employed or can even live there.  Not everyone there are millionaires that live in mansions in gated neighborhoods that drive around in nice cars.  And with this terrible economy right now, many people have become unemployed and homes have been foreclosed there too.  People, get to know an area before you make an assumption about the area.  And don't put me in your sick and twisted stereotype just because I'm from St. George.  There, I will get off my soapbox now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment