7.25.2011

Pioneer Day

While growing up in St. George, Pioneer Day was just another holiday in July.  It wasn't ever celebrated as big as Independence Day, but it was a still a day where people didn't have to go to work.  Since I moved to Salt Lake, this is the first time I'm actually celebrating this day.  Last year I was in Salt Lake too, but I only participated by watching the fireworks on my roof.  I ended up teaching in Relief Society at church yesterday and the lesson was on "LDS Women Are Incredible".  I started off the lesson with a story of a pioneer in the Willie Handcart Company who wrote the lyrics to the song "As Sisters in Zion".  What an amazing person.  This year I went to the Days of '47 Parade and it was amazing!  Floats these days are incredible.  The theme this year was "Press Forward Pioneers".  Many floats put a special twist on the theme, and the University of Utah was no exception!  Since this is the first year as PAC 12 members, we are the pioneers of future U of U students in the PAC 12 conference. 


The most amazing person was in the parade, President Thomas Spencer Monson.  He had at least six body guards with him.  He and his wife were in what looked like a bullet proof car.  It was so neat.  The governor of Utah was also in the parade and he did not have as nearly as many body guards as the Prophet did.  My only thought for President Monson having double the amount of body guards as Governor Herbert is that Pres. Monson is simply more important.  :)  I'm very excited for fireworks tonight.  It has been a good day! 
Happy Pioneer Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment