3.07.2011

FHE


Tonight I had a really cool experience for Family Home Evening with my college ward.  We went to the Utah Food Bank and helped sort donated food.  At the food bank, a huge box (like quadruple the size of a refrigerator cardboard box) is filled with food, with everything from pasta to cereal to baby food to toothpaste to all sorts of cans.  The food is then organized into categories like peanut butter, canned fruit, baking condiments, dry foods, canned meals, nonfood items, baby supplies, etc. and is boxed up and sent to people in need all over Utah.  It was really cool to see how the Food Bank works behind the scenes.

In the food bank, a lot of the donated food is unfortunately expired.  Food that is expired cannot be given out to those in need and is just thrown away.  So next time you donate to those in need, make sure it's edible and within a certain time frame before being expired.

Doing this service project reminded me of how blessed I truly am.  I've always had a roof over my head, money in the bank and food available to eat.  It truly is remarkable how giving people are and how much small, simple deeds make a huge difference in people's lives.  I'm so grateful I was able to do an awesome service project tonight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment